Board Meeting Tues, 3/5 – 9:30
Location: Susanne D.’s Home
Members Meeting Tues, 3/12 – 9:30
Reminder: Please Bring Items for the Boutique to the Meeting on March 12.
Location: Bartlett Arboretum Silver Education
Hostesses: Sharon L & Diane
Speaker: Jane Von Trapp
Bench Show (Entries in place by 9:15)
Floral Design: “Mad As A Hatter” Using a china tea cup and saucer or a china teapot, create a design for a tea table using all fresh plant material. Size will depend on the scale of the container used. To be viewed from all sides.
Horticulture: “Display your Succulent Cuttings”
Class I: Plants propagated at the October succulent propagation Workshop
1) Non novice
Class 2: Something that you have propagated
1) Non novice
Photography: A closeup that captures patterns in nature.
The photograph should include plant material. The common and botanical names should be included if they can be identified. Photographs should be mounted on mat board and overmatted. No framing or glass. Size should be 8×10. The top should be indicated on the back of the photograph.
Winter Sowing Workshop, Beazie’s Tues, 3/26 11:30 – 12:30
Winter Sowing – start seeds outdoors in a gallon milk container greenhouse. (a small fee will be charged)
Goodbody Garden Spring Planning Mtg,
Stephne’s Thurs, 3/14 9:30
As improbable as it seems now, spring will soon return and the Goodbody Garden season will be upon us.
The annual Goodbody Garden spring planning meeting will be on Thursday March 14th at 9:30 am at Stephne Behrend’s home, 172 Mill Brook Road.
Everyone is invited and newer members are especially welcome. In addition to a discussion of what did and did not work well in 2018 and changes we need to make for 2019, the agenda will include 3 important new initiatives:
- adding Saturday workdays / other jobs to be responsive to our members who work
- reaching out and including non-member volunteers to work at the Goodbody Garden. It should be both fun and a learning experience for our non-member “friends”. Hopefully, this effort will lead to some becoming members or supporters
- having 1 or 2 “events” this year at the Goodbody Garden including a family-friendly activity.
Our first workday will be on Tuesday March 19th 9:30 am [weather permitting with a back-up date of Tuesday March 26th]
Sign up is due by March 30th. By now you should have received the Goodbody Garden guidelines in the mail.
- Each Stamford Garden Club member is required to work 6 sessions in the garden (minimum 12 hours).
- If you are unable to meet this 12-hour requirement, you may buy-out of this required service for $50. Even if you buy out, you are welcome to come, join in and help out in the garden whenever you choose.
Please make your selection (if you have not already) and send it back (with a check if you decide to buy out) by March 30th to Irene Favell, 26 Turner Road, Stamford, CT 06905.
Goodbody Workdays (9:30 or as specified) Tues, 3/19, Tues 3/26
The SGC Boutique – Thurs, 5/9 6:30 – 9:30 PM
In conjunction with the fundraiser “Spring into Summer”
- What we need are new, or nearly new, items which will sell for $30 or less
- Items should relate to horticulture, gardens, floral design, photography or conservation
- Containers should be interesting, not glass vases from florists or any terracotta plant pots
- Now is the chance to put to good use those new or gently used books, containers & garden related items that are in your basement, attic or garden shed!
- Any questions, please contact Valerie.
- Thank you in advance for your contributions to this vital fund-raising event!! (PLEASE Bring items to March 12 Member Meeting)
Amended Hostess Schedule for Spring/Summer
Hostess Schedule for SGC General Meetings
March 12 – Sharon & Diane
April 9 – Beazie, Rae Ann, Meryl, Lenore, Barbara M & Candy
May 14 – Elaine & Sally
June TBA – Annual Meeting
July – TBA – Field Trip or Members Garden Tour
Hostess Schedule for SGC Board Meetings
March 5 – Susanne and Wendy – to be held at Susanne’s home
April 2 – Barbara
April 30 (actually May’s meeting) – Valerie
June 4 – Re
July 9 – Stephanie